Manchester OT is a private company, who only hire professional and reliable therapists. We offer a range of groups which focus on key areas of child development. Our hydrotherapy groups run in blocks of 6 weeks and commence every half term for 6 consecutive Saturdays.
Who can benefit from the hydrotherapy groups?
The hydrotherapy groups are suitable for:
- Children with symptoms of or a diagnosis of dyspraxia or developmental coordination disorder (DCD)
- Children with developmental delay
- Children with neurological difficulties
Who facilitates the hydrotherapy groups?
Two occupational therapists facilitate children’s movements with hands on therapy. Hands on therapy helps to provide a child with stability and the added support needed for those with balance and coordination difficulties. This approach really works the body against the gravity of water, which is beneficial to the development of core stability and muscle strength, particularly the shoulder girdle. There is also a trained lifeguard present at all times.
What are the aims of the hydrotherapy groups?
The aims of the hydrotherapy groups are to:
- To promote posture and core stability
- To promote sensory feedback by working in water
- To promote muscle strength and stamina
- To improve balance and coordination
- To provide psychological relaxation
Manchester OT aim to provide children with a fun and stimulating experience that allows them to engage and work with children of similar ages and abilities, whilst addressing their physical needs.
Benefits of the hydrotherapy groups include:
There are a number of benefits to an occupational therapy based hydrotherapy group, including:
- Increased self-esteem
- Improved balance
- Increased vestibular awareness and bilateral integration difficulties
- Increased proprioceptive awareness
- Increased motor planning and coordinating movements
- Engaging with others of similar ages and abilities
- Fun and stimulating
Hydrotherapy is an effective way to improve gross motor strength and function, which then allows improvements to be seen when completing fine motor tasks. The group format ensures the experience is fun and enjoyable, as well as effective. It is also a great way of allowing your child to engage with other children who may be experiencing similar difficulties.
If you think your child could benefit from attending our hydrotherapy group, or you would like further information regarding this or any of our groups, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0161 883 0088 to speak to one of our therapists.